Historical Photo Essay of the Department

The Department is in the process of constructing an historical photographic essay to be incorporated in this section of the website.  Please check back as we progress with this project.  If you have photos pertaining to the Department's path through history, please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

 

John Sutter Received a land grant from the Mexican Government of 50,000 acres in 1841. This was later to become what is now Sutter County, and its County Seat - Yuba City.

Bridge and Second Street prior to the incorporation of Yuba City - circa 1890.

Photo Courtesy of the Sutter County Memorial Museum

Top: Sutter County Courthouse - 1899. Marshal Chism had his office in this Courthouse prior to and just after, City incorporation.
Bottom - The building was destroyed by fire in 1899, but rebuilt.

Photo Credit: Sutter County local history photograph collection. Sutter County Library, Yuba City, California.

Sutter County Courthouse (View from the South) circa 1924.

Photo Credit:Charles I. Davis

Left: Yuba City's 1st Mayor: J.W. Ashley 1908

Right: Yuba City's 1st Town Marshal: William Chism 1908

Photo Credit - Mayor Ashley - Sutter County local history photograph collection. Sutter County Library, Yuba City, California.

The Yuba City Town Council, shortly after incorporation, rented office space for Marshal Chism in the above building. The structure still stands at the corner of Bridge and Yolo Streets in the City.

Photo Credit: Sutter County local history photograph collection. Sutter County Library, Yuba City, California.


Yuba City Police Department's second home - joint facilities with the Yuba City Fire Department under the Water Tower on Plumas Street (Looking North - Fremont Way can be seen just past the far fire engine). A red light on-top of the tower would, " Signal Officers to Telephone the Station for a Hot Call." circa 1939.

"Old City Hall" - circa 1949. The Police Department was downstairs and the Fire Department occupied the "open bays" on the left.

Photo Courtesy of the Shields Special Collection - University of California - Davis.

Members of the Department on the rear steps of the "Old City Hall" circa 1949

Reserve Officers - circa 1950

Department Photo 1953
Front Row: Ms. Marveleen Nelson
Second Row (L-R): Officer Roy Kronmeyer, Sergeant Frank Wamsley, Inspector Gordon Phillips, Sergeant Otto Kunde and Chief Lewis Duncan
Back Row (L-R): Officer Mike (Unknown last name), Officer Nick Frandrup. Additional officers unknown.

Photo Courtesy of: Mr. Charles Nelson

1955-1956

Photo Courtesy of Mr. Carl Lane

Dispatcher Clerk / Matron Ruth Vierria

Photo Courtesy of Kathryn Vierria-Doscher

Circa early 1970's

Photo from the collection of Ms. Melanie Toth Fitzpatrick


Officer Glenn Harvey Williams
End of Watch
March 31, 1962

Emergency Reporting:
Dial 9-1-1

Police Dispatch:
(530) 822-4661

Yuba City Police Department
1545 Poole Boulevard
Yuba City, CA 95993





ycp-mark